|Title:||Classroom Teacher (2017-18 school year; 4th-7th grade)|
|Description:||Our team is made up of a highly collaborative group of teachers and staff who share a passion for closing the achievement gap. We have high expectations for academics and discipline, and simultaneously value joy in the classroom, making learning fun for our students and teachers. We believe that teachers are leaders on campus, and play a significant role in decision making and professional development.
In the 2017-18 school year, we are seeking multiple subject teachers for fourth, fifth, and sixth grade positions, as well as single subject teachers for seventh grade math, ELA, science, and social studies.
Summit Prep's teachers provide the most critical work of our school - the daily instruction, evaluation, and support of our students. A teacher's primary duties include:
• Participating in a collaborative curriculum development process
• Implementing curricula and activities to meet academic standards
• Designing and implementing assessments that measure progress towards academic standards
• Using assessment data to refine curricula and inform instructional practices
• Reinforcing school-wide rules and expectations in classrooms and elsewhere on campus
• Being accountable for students' mastery of academic standards
• Producing weekly lesson plans to share with administrators
• Communicating frequently with parents, including frequent progress reports
• Participating actively in grade-level meetings, faculty meetings, and other meetings
• Participating in staff development, including three weeks of orientation and training every summer
• Leading an after-school tutoring session 2 days a week
• Meeting with co-teachers on a regular basis to help each other improve as teachers
• Completing other tasks as directed by the Head of School
• Philosophical alignment with the college preparatory mission of the school
• A "whatever it takes" attitude
• Valid California Multi Subject or Single Subject Teaching Credential or Intern Credential through a program recognized by the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing, including authorization for instructing English Language Learners
• Highly Qualified under terms of NCLB
• Commitment to continuous professional development
• High behavioral expectations and strong classroom management skills
• The desire to work as part of a team, with parents, and with community members
• Experience teaching in an urban setting with proven academic results (highly preferred)
|Benefits:||The position includes a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience.|
|Requirements:||Only complete applications will be considered; a complete application includes a current resume, a cover letter, and responses to the following short answer questions.
Please answer the following questions thoughtfully; your responses should be no longer than half a page apiece. Send your completed responses, resume, and cover letter to Arianna Haut, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org; qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview and additional next steps.
1. What is the primary cause of the academic achievement gap?
2. What are your beliefs about standardized testing?
3. Should every child go to college?
4. The demands placed on Summit Prep's teachers are intense, with teachers on campus from 7:15 AM until 4:15 PM daily, as well as an extra hour one day a week for tutoring. What makes you a strong candidate for that kind of commitment?
5. Some schools have prescribed classroom management systems that all teachers must use, while others are more relaxed and less systems-driven. Which school of thought do you follow, and why?
|Salary:||Commensurate with experience|
|Contact Name:||Arianna Haut|
|Contact Phone:||(323) 680-0138|
|Contact Address:||5100 S. Broadway|
|Contact City:||Los Angeles|